On May 10, 1930, on the campus of Howard University, in Washington DC, the National Pan-Hellenic Council was formed as a permanent organization with the following charter members: Omega Psi Phi and Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternities, and Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta and Zeta Phi Beta Sororities. In 1931, Alpha Phi Alpha and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternities joined the Council. Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority joined in 1937 and Iota Phi Theta Fraternity completed the list of member organizations in 1997.
The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated (NPHC) is currently composed of nine (9) International Greek letter Sororities and Fraternities: Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc., Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. and Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
The stated purpose and mission of the organization in 1930 was “Unanimity of thought and action as far as possible in the conduct of Greek letter collegiate fraternities and sororities, and to consider problems of mutual interest to its member organizations.” Early in 1937, the organization was incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois and became known as “The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated.”
The Goals of the NPHC of Metro Orlando are as follows:
- Increase active participation of all affiliate chapters in the Metro Orlando Area
- Increase visibility and involvement of NPHC Orlando among external community (“non-greek”; professional, community-based, health and academic organizations)
- Recognize the achievements of Metro Orlando local youth in the areas of scholarship and service
- Create opportunities for disadvantaged youth in the Metro Orlando area by holding educational forums that promote training in employability skills and self awareness.
- Foster an environment that engages chapter presidents, educates their delegations, and informs the general membership of the affiliate NPHC organizations
- Provide social and professional and/or personal development opportunities for NPHC Orlando membership